A new infographic from downtown Albuquerque’s leading aromatherapy and home goods store Clear Light at 123 Broadway Blvd SE visually displays key statistics about the urban farm’s operations through 2020.
Clear Light makes lifestyle essentials from the desert southwest incorporating the New Mexico Cedar tree’s needles and extracts. New Mexico speaks through the buzz of bees, the hubbub of the farmer’s market, the desert wind blowing through cedar branches. Clear light is New Mexico.
New Mexico is the place people visit for the expansive sky, ancient culture and a healing connection to nature. The term "clear light” describes the perfect state of mental bliss and complete happiness.
“Our products are hand-crafted with the region’s iconic natural oils and extracts, that are known for their benefits to the skin, hair and home,” said Co-owner Keith Allen West, “These ingredients have been used in the region for thousands of years as it was part of the trade route connecting the Americas with the rest of the world. We infuse this historic knowledge into our artisanal products using innovative practices that combine the best of the past and the present.”
Since Adam Ciepiela and Keith Allen West became owners of the company in 2016, they have been tracking production and environmental impact.
Clear Light by the numbers:
- 1,253 pounds of cedar needles
- 87 gallons of cedar essence
- 1,363.5 feet of labels on the products made from recycled plastic
- 42 cubic feet of lavender
- 48,328.5 gallons of rainwater collected for the urban farm’s irrigation
- 44 pounds of olive oil made from the farm’s olive trees
- 7 wheelbarrows of compost created for the farm
- 80 bushels of fruits and vegetable from the farm donated to local food banks
- 43.8 tons of carbon avoided through the solar power created on the roof which equals:
- 97,177 miles not driven
- 4,472 gallons of gasoline not used
- 43,438 pounds of coal not burned
- 92 barrels of crude oil not used
- 662 mature trees grown
- 30,531 pounds of garbage recycled
In 1971 CLEAR LIGHT laid its roots in New Mexico, on the high desert nestled between the Rio Grande River and the Sandia Mountains. Inspired by the area’s electric energy, we set out to create products that reflect life here: vibrant, enchanted, and defined by nature.
“We celebrate the culture and history of the Southwest— venturing into the world, exploring our natural resources and taking care of the planet,” said West.